What is involved in an A/C tune-up?
If you don’t know this already, regular maintenance for your AC units is very important. The people who don’t realize this are often those whose systems unexpectedly break down, leaving them without any heating or air conditioning during some of the most uncomfortable times of year.
For the small amount of money it costs to schedule a professional tune-up, the return on your investment can be huge. Besides helping avoid unexpected breakdowns, tune-ups are important for helping your unit recover lost efficiency, operate more safely, increase the overall lifespan of the unit, improve your overall level of comfort, and reduce your electric bills. Your heating and air conditioning system should be inspected at least once a year.
What goes into an AC tune-up and professional cleaning? A thorough tune-up should include the following:
- A comprehensive cleaning of the condenser coils. Doing so increases efficiency (which directly impacts electricity bills) and can lower the wear and tear on your system.
- Evaluation of the coolant level to help maintain peak operating performance. Lubrication of all moving parts to eliminate friction and wear that can increase your energy costs.
- A full calibration of your thermostat to verify proper operation.
- An inspection of the ductwork for possible energy loss.
- Tightening and inspection of all the electrical connections to verify safe A/C system operation.
- Evaluate performance of the blower motor and the condition of the blower belt.